How long do you usually warm up your car for in the winter before driving it?
10, 15 minutes?
According to professionals and researchers, modern day cars (younger than 30 years) only need 30 seconds to warm up before using! We know, it's shocking, you've probably been warming it up for at least 10 minutes everyday in the winter for years!
Here at Ontario Emissions, mechanic shop in Vaughan, ON we always strive to provide you with the best information, tips, and tricks for your vehicles!
Here are some tips to properly warm up your vehicle:
1) Ensure your car is in an open spot like a driveway, road or parking lot before turning on.
2) Turn your vehicle on as well as the defroster if your windows and windshield are fogged up in any way.
3) Let your engine run for 30 seconds before putting your vehicle in "drive". If there is a lot of snow and/or ice on it, let it run for 2-3 minutes while you scrape it off.
4) Drive at a moderate pace for the first 10 minutes once you get in the car. Heavily accelerating right away and stepping on the gas can cause stress on your vehicle and potentially lead to problems in the future.
The common saying we have all come to known of "warm up your car for 10 minutes" is a falsehood, and has been for some time. Carburetor's, which is what old cars used to use in them to mix gas and air to get the pistons fired up and the engine running. Those cars would have required some extra warm-up time such as 5-10 min, because gasoline has a harder time evaporating in cold weather, it could have led to engine problems, hence why people would warm up their car before using.
Luckily for us, carburetor's have not been used in the last 30 years, but now electronic fuel injectors which can detect when it is cold, to pump out extra gas if needed. Because we have these advancements in technologies, all we need is a fast 30 seconds to warm up, and we are good to go!
Warming up your car for longer than 30 seconds does two things:
- Wastes fuel by pumping gas into your engine that is not being used
- Causes pollution to the environment by having the car run idle for such a long period of time
From all of us here at Ontario Emissions, mechanic shop and auto service, we hope we were able to teach you something today! Please call us or fill out the contact form by clicking here whenever you need mechanic services performed on your vehicle!